D47 is the second hunebed in the suburb of Angelslo, enclosed in the small area between the Haselackers flats. Ten uprights and two keystones have almost disappeared under the sand, so that the lintels appear to lie on the ground.
In 1918 Van Giffen counted only two lintels, three of the original five being missing. One was later found and replaced, and that was the situation until 1997. In truth, the monument had suffered so much from vandalism that it was decided to let it disappear completely under the sand. Luckily this decision did not go through. Instead, the monument was treated with more attention and respect, and in July 1997 it was restored with two suitable stones brought from elsewhere. At first, the result looked unnatural because of the difference in colour, but in time the stones have acquired the same tint. This was certainly an unusual procedure which, if it became more common, would result in a hell of a lot of work in Drenthe :-).
Location of D47
Visit of Professor van Giffen in 1918
The miserable remains of this prehistoric monument in the bare terrain of Angelsloo looked even worse than D46. Van Giffen thought little of it: “The hunebed has reverted to a very incomplete and collapsed state”, he reported in 1925. Despite the many missing lintels and uprights the ground plan could still be recognised because of the 2 keystones which were still in place: roughly 7 by 2 metres. Lintels 1 and 2 were still there, the other 2 were missing. He could not find a definite entrance, but he did see the remains of the covering mound. The countless small stones around the chamber he interpreted as the remains of packing stones from the covering mound. in 1871 the monument was purchased by the State from a private owner.
(Source: Atlas of “De Hunebedden in Nederland”, dr.A.E.van Giffen, 1925)
Text Hans Meijer
Translation Alun Harvey