Hunebed D23
Hunebed D23

There is so little left that these two sad piles of stones are hardly recognisable as hunebeds. The top photo shows D23 with D24 in the background. Both ruins still have one remaining lintel resting on its uprights. D24 must originally have had 4 lintels but now there are only 2 left; it is impossible to establish how large D23 was.

In fact these are two of a trio, the largest one – D25 – lies a little to the west.

D23, Photo Hans Meijer

Location of D23, Drouwen

Hunebed D23, Map by Hans Meijer

Visit of Professor van Giffen in 1918

Apart from the western side Van Giffen found the condition of D23 “completely disturbed”. He counted 3 lintels which had all fallen down into the chamber below. Now there are only 2. The 2 keystones lay in their original place but there were only 3 uprights. He could not find any remains of a covering mound. The State purchased the hunebed from a private owner in 1871.
(Source: Atlas of “De Hunebedden in Nederland”, dr.A.E.van Giffen, 1925)

(Source: Atlas of “De Hunebedden in Nederland”, dr.A.E.van Giffen, 1925)

For more information about this and other hunebeds in Drenthe see
www.hunebedden.nl and www.hunebeddeninfo.nl

Text Hans Meijer and Harrie Wolters
Translation Alun Harvey
Photos Davado and Hans Meijer

D23 in the foreground. Photo by Davado
D23 Photo Davado

Vorig artikelVogelen bij het Hunebedcentrum
Volgend artikelWel bouwden de hunebedden?
Harrie Wolters is algemeen directeur van het Hunebedcentrum.

LAAT EEN REACTIE ACHTER

Vul alstublieft uw commentaar in!
Vul hier uw naam in

Deze site gebruikt Akismet om spam te verminderen. Bekijk hoe je reactie-gegevens worden verwerkt.