There is so little left that these two sad piles of stones are hardly recognisable as hunebeds. The top photo shows D23 with D24 in the background. Both ruins still have one remaining lintel resting on its uprights. D24 must originally have had 4 lintels but now there are only 2 left; it is impossible to establish how large D23 was.

In fact these are two of a trio, the largest one – D25 – lies a little to the west.

Photo Davado D24

Location of hunebed D24

Hunebed D24, map by Hans Meijer

Visit of Professor van Giffen in 1918

“The hunebed is very incomplete and heavily damaged”, wrote Van Giffen in 1925. A rowan tree was growing in the chamber. He counted 2 sunken and fallen lintels, 2 keystones still in place and 6 uprights. He also detected the remains of the covering mound. The hunebed has been owned by the State since 1971.
(Source: Atlas of “De Hunebedden in Nederland”, dr.A.E.van Giffen, 1925)

D24, Source: Atlas of “De Hunebedden in Nederland”, dr.A.E.van Giffen, 1925

For more information about this and other hunebeds in Drenthe see
www.hunebedden.nl and www.hunebeddeninfo.nl

Text Hans Meijer
Translation Alun Harvey
Photos Davado

LAAT EEN REACTIE ACHTER

Vul alstublieft uw commentaar in!
Vul hier uw naam in

Deze site gebruikt Akismet om spam te verminderen. Bekijk hoe je reactie-gegevens worden verwerkt.