This small hunebed stands opposite the nature area of the Zeijer Strubben, 100 metres to the right of the road from Zeijen to Peest, although it cannot be seen from the road as it lies in a hollow. It is not difficult to imagine the original earth mound as only the four lintels are clearly visible. The hunebed was discovered around 1833 and only partly excavated as can be seen from the eight uprights and two keystones which still lie almost completely under the sand. In 1857 Lucas Oldenhuis Gratama, a prominent Drents politician and enthusiastic advocate for the preservation of archaeological monuments, saved the hunebed by buying it from a stone merchant for f. 40,- and donating it to the Province.
For many years an original “Van Giffen” signpost stood by the road. The entrance to the hunebed site is marked by a nameplate and a couple of large Ice Age boulders, which are not connected with the hunebed.
The visit of Professor van Giffen in 1918
100 years ago much of Drenthe was covered with bare heather as far as the eye could see. In a hollow surrounded by a circular rampart Van Giffen found this complete hunebed “in a moderately good condition”: 4 lintels resting on 8 uprights and 2 keystones. The hunebed was uncovered by Drenthe landowner Petrus Hofstede in 1833, after being discovered beneath a tumulus. The Province purchased the monument from a private owner in 1857.
(Source: Atlas of “De Hunebedden in Nederland”, dr.A.E.van Giffen, 1925)
Text Hans Meijer
Translation Alun Harvey
Photos Davado and Hans Meijer