In the historic centre of the village of Pavia in Portugal stands the dolmen of Pavia. It was built in the New Stone Age between 4000 and 3000 BC. In the seventeenth century it was converted into a church. The chamber of the dolmen has an oval shape with maximum measurements of around 4 metres long and 3.3 metres high. From 1914 until 1915 archaeologists excavated the dolmen and made several finds: an idol, earthenware pots, stone axes and slates.
Anta de Pavia
R Dom Diniz 2, 7490-427 Pavia, Portugal
Text Nadine Lemmers
Translation Alun Harvey