The archaeological site at Viglia lies in the coastal plain and fertile basin of ‘Mesogion’ in the north-western edge of Crete. It is near Kissamos. The site was identified in 1990.
The results of the survey and the excavation’s observations show the existence of a coastal prehistoric settlement, which extended along the coastal zone where there is a small yet obvious hypsometrical difference. The whole flat area, north of the archaeological site seems to be covered by the sea in ancient times, to the time period which was the sharp rise in land throughout western Crete, due to strong tectonic earthquake of 365 A.D. This point was pushed back away from the coastline. The site existed west to the raised rock, where was possibly a small cove. At the west side of the hill there are remains of walls in lengh while traces of walls are visible on the surface.
In the end of 2008, a rescue excavation was conducted by the 25th Ephorate of Prehistoric and Classical Aniquities within the proparty of a construction company. According to the first results of the excavation, the settlement which is located on the low rocky hill can be roughly dated tot he Middle Minoan period (1900 BC – 1700 CB). Just a part of it has so far been excavated on the north side of the hill. Remains of three rooms were discovered.
At the west in a small distance a retaining wall was revealed. The installation extends westward and to south with traces of walls on the surface. The finds of votive offerings suggest the possible existence of a shrine.
The presence of libation vases (rhyta) indicates a ritual activity in the area. In room A, were found perforated post which were used fo libations-liquid offerings-flowed into the soil as offer tot he earth deity. These rhyta are highly unusual vases and small sized. They belong to the type of conic, piriform and animal shaped head. In the room B the vases were found in layers, belonging mainly to the type of votive offerings and characterize places of worship. North four pits were found, filled with a large quantity of pottery from broken vases. These were used during the ceremony and were positioned there after use. This new important site of Viglia adds important information to our knowledge about Middle Minoan period in western Crete (2000 – 1600 BC). The research in the are gave evidence of continuity of settlement in historic times.
Two marble columns, and an ornate ionic capital, large dimensions, were identified in the southwest of the hill, at the open space of the factory. A tile tomb was excavated in a property to the south. This is another element stating the later use of the area.